Oh, the Academy Awards… the prestigious event that wraps up award season every year with an outright bang; where Stars are expected to bring their absolute A-game or else end up on the worst dressed list. This year was no exception for glamour with La La Land, a top contender for many of the categories, spreading its inspiration throughout the red carpet. Karlie Kloss and Emma Roberts styled their hair with a nod to Old Hollywood glam. Emma Stone, who won best actress for her lead role in the movie, fully embraced the look pairing her hairstyle with a gold Givenchy Haute Couture gown that accented a 1920’s flapper style.
Kevin Lee, Style Director, brings you the final red carpet how-to with this a modern take on the curls of Old Hollywood.
1. Prepare wet hair with Julien Farel Inflate Volumizing Balm and blow dry hair until completely dry.
2. Using a 1 & 1/4″ conical curling wand take vertical sections around the head and wrap hair around the wand. Heat thoroughly.
3. Unwrap section, let cool in your hand then move on to next section until entire head has been curled.
4. Take a mixed bristle brush (Mason Pearson, nylon and boar) and with a small amount of Julien Farel Smooth Creme brush the hair very well letting waves spring back on their own.
5. Push style into place, smoothing down any flyaways with fingers.
Hair by Kevin Lee, Style Director
Makeup by Marylisa Diaz, Makeup Artist
Photography by Autumn Mishler